I thought I would share with everyone my protein pancake recipe as I’ve many requests for it and I just cant get enough myself (I could eat them every single day). They are super tasty, filling and are the perfect treat to start your day or post workout.
Ingredients: (per person – makes about 4 small pancakes)
- 1 scoop and a half of protein powder (about 60 grams) or 40 grams oats
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- 1 medium egg
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice – fresh or bottled
- Coconut oil/ vegetable/ sunflower oil (enough to stop pancakes from sticking to the pan)
I use MYPROTEIN protein powder – Impact Diet Whey in Double chocolate flavour. I use this brand because I always have and like their flavours, however I think it would work with any type of protein powder. If you are like me and don’t really like bananas I wouldn’t worry as you can’t really taste them at all, if you could then I wouldn’t eat them myself as I dont really like them, you also can’t taste the lemon it just helps make the pancakes thick and fluffy!
How to make:
1. Peel the banana and mash it up with a fork into a paste.
2. Add the protein powder and egg and mix until combined.
3. Add the lemon juice and mix one last time.
4. Heat up a little oil in a frying pan, if you heat up too much you can always pop it in a mug and use it for the rest of the pancakes. I tend to use coconut oil as it adds a little flavour.
5. When hot turn the hob down to medium (burnt pancakes? No thank you).
6. Spoon some mixture into the pan to make 1 pancake (see my picture for a guide), don’t be alarmed if the mixture is quite thick as mine usually is and that’s how I find it works best, use your spoon to make the mix into a circular shape.
7. Let it cook for about 20 seconds or until it doesn’t stick to the pan.
8. Turn over the pancake using a spatula and repeat (step 7) for other side. When cooked move onto a plate and repeat steps 1-8 again.
Now its time to add your topping(s) my favourites are:
- Melted dark chocolate, 1 tsp Peanut butter and a tbs of Greek yoghurt
- Nutella and Strawberries – such a dream need I say more?
- Reese’s Peanut butter cups and Greek yoghurt
There are SO many options depending on what you like so let your imagination go wild. These could be eaten for breakfast, an after-workout snack or whenever you fancy, and you can make them as healthy or unhealthy as you like by changing around your toppings…
Other topping ideas:
- Blueberries and Greek yoghurt
- Maple/ Golden syrup
- Ice cream – for when you’re feeling naughty
- Lemon and Sugar
- Greek yoghurt, nuts and raisins
Plus many many more there really is no limit, you can change your flavour of protein to vanilla, strawberry, plain or well anything really! I just really like MY PROTEIN chocolate protein at the moment.
The best part of this is eating the pancakes which I did just before I wrote this and let me tell you they were delicious and so filling, now I feel ready for the day ahead (and not sharing them).
Love Saff x